Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rain Rain Everywhere

If you live in the pacific west coast you have been inundated with rain this winter. Just looking outside my window this afternoon the rain is just pouring down. This reminds me to do a quick walk around my house and check what the rain is doing to my house and my yard.

First thing I do is look at the grounds around the house.
-Is water collecting anywhere?
-Is there water pooling around the area of the foundation?
-Is water collecting on the lawn area? If it is collecting then you might have to address lawn drainage later in the year.
-How are your gutters handling the heavy rain downpour? If they are overflowing then maybe they're clogged.
-How are the gutter's downspouts coping with the rain. Are they still properly connected? Are they draining into a proper city drainage system or at least draining 3 or more feet away from the foundation of the house.

Winter rain storms can cause havoc with gutters and downspouts. Keeping an eye on them will help prevent leaks in the future.

1 comment: